What is rigid signage?
SpeedPro offers a solution to match almost every imaginable need that a marketer might have when planning for physical marketing materials. Two of the broadest categories are rigid and soft signage. While these types of signage are clearly self-explanatory to a degree, there is actually quite a bit to consider within each category.
While some of the top advantages of soft signage are lower weight, easier storage, and often lower cost, these may be offset by your need for signage that is more durable, needs structural integrity, or is part of a more permanent marketing installation. That is where your choice of rigid signage will come in.
What types of rigid sign materials does SpeedPro offer?
The base material on which your signage is created is called the substrate. Many substrate types are available to choose from, each with its own advantage in cost, weight, appearance, and more.
- Foamcore: One of the most lightweight selections for rigid signs, this is a firm foam sandwiched between coated paper. It’s also cheaper than many other rigid choices, allowing it to be disposable while imparting a solid appearance that works well with contour cutting. This is a solid choice for short-term, temporary use, as with presentations, trade shows, conferences, and more.
- Coroplast: This corrugated polypropylene is several layers of plastic, thereby light and more durable than foams and cardboards.
- Metallic: Perhaps the most durable signage, metals offer an impactful look and unparalleled resistance to weather, UV light and physical damage. Most often aluminum, other metal selections are available, including steel, bronze and even copper. It is perfect directional signage as well, matching the expected appearance that people are used to seeing along roadways. Various finishes and polishing options are also available for metallic signage which add to the visual appeal.
- Ultraboard: This includes a firm foam layer, much like foamcore, but sandwiches it between two thin but rigid plastic sheets, resulting in a much more durable option great for outdoor usage.
- Wood: Offering one of the most unique looks for signage, wood as a substrate is perfect for outdoor use or in rustic settings like cabins, bed and breakfast inns, parks and museums. It can be a fairly light choice while retaining strength and durability.
- Rigid plastic: A single, thick plastic layer, most often PVC, this offers excellent durability while being lightweight and somewhat lower cost compared to aluminum. It can also be produced in a wider variety of substrate colors. This is an excellent choice for hanging signs.
- Max Metal: This is a sheet of aluminum affixed to a core of polyethylene. Lighter than solid metal options, it offers the exterior durability of metals.
- Acrylic: A shiny, clear, moldable rigid plastic also known as Plexiglass, acrylic offers a more sophisticated look than most other signage.
It is important to consider a number of factors when deciding on what type of rigid sign substrate to use for your project.
Is your signage short-term? Your best choices may be corrugated plastic (Coroplast) or foamcore.
Will your signage be exposed to the elements? This use case requires high durability, which means you should consider Ultraboard, acrylic, max metal, rigid plastic, metallic or Coroplast for your substrate materials.
Are you going to be producing a lot of signage that will need to be shipped or transported to multiple locations or over a long distance? Go with lightweight selections such as max metal, foamcore, rigid plastic or Coroplast.
Do you want a striking, more classy look for a modern office? Consider acrylic signage for a sleek appearance that is versatile in how your designs and graphics can be applied, or highly polished metallic selections like bronze.
It is easy to see how rigid signage presents both opportunities and advantages when it comes to various use cases. One especially significant opportunity to choose rigid sign substrates is for company logo and lobby signage. A few selections will give you a more professional, polished look: wood, acrylic, and higher-end metal choices like copper, stainless steel and bronze.
These substrates are also the most flexible, as they are able to be manipulated and shaped in three-dimensional ways that most other rigid signage cannot be. This process is known as custom dimensional signage. Acrylic can be cut in a variety of ways, including beveled edges and engraving. Since acrylic is clear, LED backlighting is also an option for an amazing, striking appearance day or night. You can also layer multiple panels of acrylic, and because of the transparent properties use the different panels to showcase completely different visually-artistic choices, such as frosted shapes.
Metal signage can take full advantage of the metal’s physical properties, all the way from brilliant polishes to rusting for an intriguing look. Some clients like to do away with the idea of a complete “sign” by cutting out separate letters and graphics and affixing those to their walls. Wood is often treated much the same way. One unique quality of wood is that when laser cutters are used, the wood is actually charred, imparting another unique factor to your signage.
The possibilities are nearly limitless with rigid signage, and SpeedPro is here to guide you.
SpeedPro NYC – Mt. Vernon
To stand out in a sea of marketing messages, turn to the professionals at SpeedPro NYC – Mt. Vernon. We have the experience and expertise to create eye-catching outdoor signage, popup displays or printed brochures. More than that, we understand the nuances of experiential marketing. Make an impression and draw customers in with powerful, engaging graphics and signs from SpeedPro NYC – Mt. Vernon.
Any space is an opportunity to connect and communicate with your customers and audience. Our team can transform any venue, location or space with graphics, text and more. We use state-of-the-industry technology to create true-to-life colors, laser-accurate cuts and the finishes you need on multiple surfaces.
Outdoor Signage, Vehicle Wraps and More for Your Business
You want to create an impression. Let’s help make it happen with our range of services, including:
- Vehicle wraps: Whether you want a full or partial wrap or a decal for every car in your fleet, SpeedPro NYC – Mt. Vernon will deliver. You can take your advertising on the road and use this cost-effective strategy to increase brand awareness.
- Wall murals: If you’re looking for a hot interior design trend that will also showcase your business, wall murals are the perfect large-format printing solution.
- Trade show graphics: Eye-catching trade show exhibits from popup displays to backlit displays will help you stand out from the clutter and noise and promote your top products and services.
- Window graphics: Often, the first thing people will notice about your business is your storefront. Help your building make a great first impression with custom window graphics that draw the eye.
- Outdoor signage: Our outdoor signage solutions focus on readability and visibility to make sure people move from the street to the inside of your building. You can even use them to give directions and guide people around your space.
- And so much more
Partnering With a Local Sign Company
Many businesses and industries can benefit from working with a sign company such as SpeedPro Imaging NYC – Mt. Vernon. From apartment buildings to the hospitality industry and beyond, custom wide-format graphics will make a big impression.
We’re proud to serve businesses throughout the NYC area, such as:
- Southern Connecticut
- New Rochelle
- Mount Vernon
- New Roc City
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
Have an exact idea for a print or need help deciding how to share your marketing message? Let’s discuss your needs and create the exact graphics and look you want. Contact SpeedPro NYC – Mt. Vernon for a consultation or quote today.