What is rigid signage?
SpeedPro offers a solution to match almost every imaginable need that a marketer might have when planning for physical marketing materials. Two of the broadest categories are rigid and soft signage. While these types of signage are clearly self-explanatory to a degree, there is actually quite a bit to consider within each category.
While some of the top advantages of soft signage are lower weight, easier storage, and often lower cost, these may be offset by your need for signage that is more durable, needs structural integrity, or is part of a more permanent marketing installation. That is where your choice of rigid signage will come in.
What types of rigid sign materials does SpeedPro offer?
The base material on which your signage is created is called the substrate. Many substrate types are available to choose from, each with its own advantage in cost, weight, appearance, and more.
- Foamcore: One of the most lightweight selections for rigid signs, this is a firm foam sandwiched between coated paper. It’s also cheaper than many other rigid choices, allowing it to be disposable while imparting a solid appearance that works well with contour cutting. This is a solid choice for short-term, temporary use, as with presentations, trade shows, conferences, and more.
- Coroplast: This corrugated polypropylene is several layers of plastic, thereby light and more durable than foams and cardboards.
- Metallic: Perhaps the most durable signage, metals offer an impactful look and unparalleled resistance to weather, UV light and physical damage. Most often aluminum, other metal selections are available, including steel, bronze and even copper. It is perfect directional signage as well, matching the expected appearance that people are used to seeing along roadways. Various finishes and polishing options are also available for metallic signage which add to the visual appeal.
- Ultraboard: This includes a firm foam layer, much like foamcore, but sandwiches it between two thin but rigid plastic sheets, resulting in a much more durable option great for outdoor usage.
- Wood: Offering one of the most unique looks for signage, wood as a substrate is perfect for outdoor use or in rustic settings like cabins, bed and breakfast inns, parks and museums. It can be a fairly light choice while retaining strength and durability.
- Rigid plastic: A single, thick plastic layer, most often PVC, this offers excellent durability while being lightweight and somewhat lower cost compared to aluminum. It can also be produced in a wider variety of substrate colors. This is an excellent choice for hanging signs.
- Max Metal: This is a sheet of aluminum affixed to a core of polyethylene. Lighter than solid metal options, it offers the exterior durability of metals.
- Acrylic: A shiny, clear, moldable rigid plastic also known as Plexiglass, acrylic offers a more sophisticated look than most other signage.
It is important to consider a number of factors when deciding on what type of rigid sign substrate to use for your project.
Is your signage short-term? Your best choices may be corrugated plastic (Coroplast) or foamcore.
Will your signage be exposed to the elements? This use case requires high durability, which means you should consider Ultraboard, acrylic, max metal, rigid plastic, metallic or Coroplast for your substrate materials.
Are you going to be producing a lot of signage that will need to be shipped or transported to multiple locations or over a long distance? Go with lightweight selections such as max metal, foamcore, rigid plastic or Coroplast.
Do you want a striking, more classy look for a modern office? Consider acrylic signage for a sleek appearance that is versatile in how your designs and graphics can be applied, or highly polished metallic selections like bronze.
It is easy to see how rigid signage presents both opportunities and advantages when it comes to various use cases. One especially significant opportunity to choose rigid sign substrates is for company logo and lobby signage. A few selections will give you a more professional, polished look: wood, acrylic, and higher-end metal choices like copper, stainless steel and bronze.
These substrates are also the most flexible, as they are able to be manipulated and shaped in three-dimensional ways that most other rigid signage cannot be. This process is known as custom dimensional signage. Acrylic can be cut in a variety of ways, including beveled edges and engraving. Since acrylic is clear, LED backlighting is also an option for an amazing, striking appearance day or night. You can also layer multiple panels of acrylic, and because of the transparent properties use the different panels to showcase completely different visually-artistic choices, such as frosted shapes.
Metal signage can take full advantage of the metal’s physical properties, all the way from brilliant polishes to rusting for an intriguing look. Some clients like to do away with the idea of a complete “sign” by cutting out separate letters and graphics and affixing those to their walls. Wood is often treated much the same way. One unique quality of wood is that when laser cutters are used, the wood is actually charred, imparting another unique factor to your signage.
The possibilities are nearly limitless with rigid signage, and SpeedPro is here to guide you.
The Apex/Cary area of North Carolina has grown quickly in recent years, with new technology and improving infrastructure attracting new residents. The increasing size of the population has led to more businesses raising their flags. It’s a great time to start a small- or medium-sized business, and when you do it, you’ll want to stand out from the competition.
The best way to make a statement? Bold, eye-catching graphics that let people know who you are and why you can help them. The experts at SpeedPro Apex can make your vision a reality. Our large-format printing solutions meet your needs and accomplish your aims, whether you want to advertise an upcoming sale with an elevator wrap or send delivery vans with full, partial or decal vehicle wraps around town to expand your branding.
You can find so many ways to use wide-format printing to make a difference in your business’s bottom line and improve your name recognition. Creative, well-planned graphics executed by SpeedPro Apex put you in the driver’s seat. See how we can aid your small- or medium-sized business with your visual communication needs.
Get Large-Format Printing for Your NC Company
What do you need to help your business grow? Whether you want trade show displays or step and repeat that will pop, indoor signage to guide people around the office or outdoor signage to signal where your retail shop is located, our sign company can help. We specialize in visual communications that relay useful information to your potential customers. The right signage and graphics can create new relationships that grow into steady business.
No task is too big or small for the team at SpeedPro Apex. Our capabilities and services include:
- Wall graphics
- Fleet wraps
- Window graphics and decals
- Backlit graphics
- Floor graphics
- And more
Why Pick SpeedPro Apex?
As the nation’s leader in wide-format graphics, we have aided companies just like yours throughout the region in North Carolina. We understand what customers in this area respond to and how you can set yourself apart from the competition. With experiencing working with companies in dozens of sectors, including real estate, athletic organizations and government, you can trust us to help grow your bottom line.
We rely on state-of-the-art technology to provide winning solutions for our clients. Each graphic we design has a specific purpose — to achieve your goals. We collaborate closely with you to develop a solution that truly works for your business. You’ll appreciate many things about working with us, such as our:
- Speed: We can meet quick deadlines.
- Dedication to the environment: We use green approaches such as quick-dry printing processes.
- Reliability: We communicate with you throughout the graphic design, creation and installation process.
- Precision: We use digital measurements to ensure an exact fit on our graphics.
Contact SpeedPro Apex Today
We have assisted customers in Apex and Cary as well as Raleigh, Wake and Chatham counties. We start with a one-on-one discussion, determine your specific needs and decide what will benefit you the most. What are you waiting for? Reach out to us today to schedule a consultation or request a quote from SpeedPro Apex.