You may think of canvas as a favorite material for painters, but it’s also a useful material for printers. As a naturally durable material with a high-end look, canvas is the perfect choice for many individuals and businesses who want their graphics to be treated like works of art. SpeedPro studios offer canvas options for some printed products, so whether at your office, a trade show or an outdoor event, you can show off your custom imagery on this versatile material.
WHAT IS CANVAS?
The etymology of the word “canvas” can be traced back to the Latin word for hemp, “cannabis,” which stands to reason, as the earliest types of canvas were made from tightly woven strands of hemp. Canvas became popular during the Italian Renaissance in the 16th century, when it was made from linen. Over the years, canvas has remained a popular material for its strength and versatility. From ship sails and shoes to tents and more, canvas has found its way into many different industries.
Whatever materials are used to make it, the tight, plain weave and rough, durable feel remain the distinguishing characteristics of canvas. Some modern canvas is still made from linen, but cotton tends to be a more popular choice today since it is more affordable. Cotton canvas is commonly referred to as “cotton duck.” Whether linen or cotton, modern canvas typically includes polyvinyl chloride (PVC), as well.
In the printing world, canvas is a particularly useful material for creating stretched-gallery wraps. Printers can use the process of dye sublimation to press inks into the canvas material. Canvas takes ink well, so your graphics will appear sharp and vivid. Canvas works for both indoor and outdoor settings, so the printing applications are nearly endless.
WHAT CANVAS OPTION DOES SPEEDPRO OFFER?
SpeedPro studios have the materials and expertise to create a range of canvas displays. We carry different types of canvas from several different manufacturers. These canvas types vary in weight and their ideal application. Some options are made from cotton, while others are made from polyester or a blend of both cotton and polyester. Outdoor canvas is treated to withstand the elements.
Rather than technical specifications regarding the material itself, most people are interested in what different types of displays are made from canvas. Stretched canvas signs are the most common use of canvas displays.
Also called gallery wrap prints, stretched canvas wall hangings can turn any space into an art gallery. These indoor signs combine rustic texture and a sharp, modern appearance to create eye-catching displays. SpeedPro can create beautiful stretched canvas signs in a variety of dimensions, including the depth of the sign. Whether you plan to cover a whole wall with a high-impact display, or you want a series of small prints that complement each other, you can create the perfect canvas display.
You can use stretched canvas signs to display custom branded graphics at your office, your retail location or an event. Individuals can also use gallery wrap prints to recreate their favorite photos or their original artwork. Giclée printing, in particular, is the perfect method to accurately reproduce photographs or artwork in a form that does justice to the original.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CANVAS?
Why should you consider using canvas for your next display? Canvas has several significant advantages. These benefits include the fact that canvas is:
- High-End: As a timeless fabric associated with paintings, canvas is unmistakably high-end. If you’re looking for an exceptionally elegant way to display your branded graphics, a canvas sign is a great choice.
- Textured: Canvas has a notable woven texture which sets it apart from smoother surfaces, including other fabrics. The texture of canvas adds interest to its feel and appearance, making it look more natural. Some people may be concerned that this texture will affect the integrity of their image, but graphics and photos will look vivid and sharp on canvas.
- Durable: Canvas is an extremely durable material. This is especially important if you’re planning to create outdoor displays. An outdoor canvas material can withstand wind, rain and extreme temperatures without breaking down. If you want a material you can use at events over and over again or keep on display long-term, canvas is a good option to consider.
- Portable: Canvas is also easy to store and transport since it is lightweight. Portability is especially important to companies that exhibit at events like trade shows or fairs.
- Versatile: The many uses of canvas out in the world speak to the amazing versatility of canvas. From stained drop cloths on the floor of a construction site to valuable art hanging in a gallery, canvas does it all. When it comes to custom displays, canvas works for several different types of displays, both indoor and outdoor.
WHERE CAN YOU USE CANVAS SIGNAGE?
Canvas is such a versatile material, so there are many scenarios where canvas can help you get your message across or simply show off images that enhance your space. Let’s look at a few places where you can use canvas displays:
1. IN YOUR HOME
Canvas has long been a favorite material for artists, but historically, these paintings were framed. Unframed stretch canvas prints have gained popularity in the interior design world in recent years. They give a three-dimensional effect to artwork and can make your home feel like a modern art gallery. Custom canvas prints are the perfect solution for turning original artwork into a print or for making your favorite photos pop on your wall at home.
2. INSIDE YOUR PLACE OF BUSINESS
Multiple studies have shown that artwork in a workplace enriches the space and can improve employees’ productivity. With custom prints, you can choose to display artwork that is on-brand and enhances your work environment. If customers or clients come to your place of business, then they will also be impressed by your custom prints.
3. AT TRADE SHOWS
Canvas gallery prints can also work as elegant displays at a trade show. These canvas signs are not a common trade show display type, so they are sure to stand out and give a sophisticated feel to your whole booth, all while showing off your custom graphics.
HOW CAN YOU MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR CANVAS DISPLAY?
To make the most of your canvas sign you should:
- Use vivid colors that will attract attention.
- Use colors and fonts that match your branding.
- Upload high-resolution images.
- Contrast text with the background so it stands out.
- Partner with the right printing service.
What do we mean by this last point? The right printing service is one that has expertise along with the high-quality materials and cutting-edge printing processes necessary to create amazing displays you’re proud of. Quality materials and methods also mean you’ll get a lot of use out of your display without seeing it fade and fall apart over time.