Custom marketing flags from SpeedPro come in four shapes, all of which offer their own unique flair. One classic shape to consider is the feather flag. Feather flags provide an eyecatching canvas for you to share your message, whether at your place of business, at a trade show, or anywhere you can gain exposure. Feather flags are an excellent choice for a wide range of applications.
What Is a Feather Flag?
All promotional flags consist of a thin pole and a panel of material that slips over the pole. The shape of the pole and flag material together create a distinct shape. The term feather flag may be used to refer to several shapes, including straight, edge, and teardrop feather flags. However, these are all variations on the classic feather flag.
Feather flags are named for their resemblance to feathers. The body of the flag is essentially a long rectangle with the top and bottom curving to add flair and give it that feather-like appearance. The flag curves over at the top, similar to a teardrop flag, though not as drastically. At the bottom, the flag tapers in toward the pole. You can choose from several size options for your feather flag and can pick either fabric or vinyl mesh as the material.
Benefits of Feather Flags
There are many reasons to create marketing flags for your business. Flags are affordable, are easy to install and are great attention-getters. But why should you consider choosing teardrop flags over other shapes, such as feather, straight or edge flags? There are three main advantages teardrop flags offer:
- Balanced shape: Feather flags have a more fluid and interesting shape than straight and edge flags, but they have a more standard shape than teardrop flags. This makes them an excellent choice when you want some visual interest while maintaining a mostly rectangular shape. In other words, feather flags balance straight and curved lines to create a shape that is both classic and visually interesting.
- Slight movement: Another way in which feather flags find themselves in the middle compared to other shapes is in their resistance to movement from wind. Feather flags remain more rigid in the face of wind compared to straight and edge flags, but they flutter more than a teardrop flag. This slight fluttering in the wind can be the perfect option for marketers who want their custom outdoor flags to be dynamic without moving so much that the message might become obscured.
- Sleek appearance: Feather flags tend to have an especially sleek and sophisticated feel. This can make feather flags the best choice for companies that want their advertising to feel refined. However, with the right graphics, feather flags can also appear whimsical and fun. All flag shapes offer plenty of versatility, so you can choose the shape that best embodies the style you’re going for.
How to Design a Feather Flag
Because feather flags are mostly tall, narrow rectangles, you should design your message to be printed along the long edge of the flag. This means the message will appear sideways when the flag is standing up. This may sound strange, but you have likely seen custom feather signs like this before and were easily able to read the message without any need to tilt your head to the side. For larger feather flags, you may be able to orient text horizontally.
With any flag, especially for messages displayed sideways, you should keep your text concise — concise enough that a person can easily read it at a glance. If you are keeping your message to just one word, such as “sale” or “open,” You may vertically stack the letters like a crossword. This arrangement can become difficult to read, however, if you are including multiple words. You can also combine text orientations in some cases.
When it comes to graphics, you have many options. One option is to only feature bold text to make the flag as minimal and readable as possible. For a small graphic inclusion, you may choose the curved tip or bottom of the flag to feature a logo or other graphic image and use the body of the flag for text. Another option is to make your graphic the main focus of your flag. In this instance, you may want to pair it with another flag that features text.
Uses for Feather Flags
Feather flags are a versatile choice for many applications. Here are just a few places where you can use business feather flags to raise brand awareness and get your message out there:
- Outdoor events: Feather flags are a great way to market your business at community events you have sponsored or at fairs and festivals where you have a booth. Marketing flags outdoors, the feather flag included, can attract attention with bright colors and some movement with the breeze.
- Trade shows: Companies that attend trade shows face the challenge of making their booth stand out from the rest. It usually takes a combination of signage types to round out your trade show display. Branded feather flags at the front of your booth are a great addition to pop from your other displays and grab attention from attendees.
- Business entrance: You want to make sure people know where your business is located. This may seem obvious, but many businesses with inadequate signage can fade into the background and even be difficult to find when someone intends to visit the business. Flags are an excellent supplement to your permanent outdoor signage to draw attention to your business.
- Out-of-home advertising: Flags can be a great tool for advertising along roadways, sidewalks and anywhere they might be seen by passersby. Flags tend to be especially eye-catching compared to billboards or other signs that have a more permanent appearance. Flags can signal a more exciting or timely message that draws attention.
Feather Flags From SpeedPro
If you want to create custom flags for your business, partner with SpeedPro for amazing results. SpeedPro has an extensive network of print studios across the nation, so you can work with SpeedPro, no matter where you’re located. Along with quality equipment and materials, when you work with SpeedPro, you gain access to our knowledgeable staff who can help you work through the design process and create feather flags that help you achieve your marketing goals.
If you’re considering other shapes of flags or other display types, our staff can help you choose the perfect options for your application. To start creating flags for your business, locate your local SpeedPro studio today.