Corporate Outdoor Signage
Outdoor signage sets your store and office up to make its best first impression, every impression. Give yours an unmistakable mark with custom outdoor signage crafted and printed for businesses.
SpeedPro’s nationwide network of large-format studios creates exterior signs fitting your aesthetics and your space. We provide full-service partnerships for our projects, working with you throughout each stage of the outdoor signage design and installation process. Your satisfaction is our mission — and your custom signs are how we make it happen.
Why Use Outdoor Signage?
Outdoor signs are part of a building’s fingerprint. Corporate exterior signs are available in dozens of shapes, sizes and categories — each with a list of customizable detail work and features — and become part of the face of your business. Customers grow as familiar with building signs as they are with your goods or services. Don’t leave these associations to chance. Consider custom outdoor signage as part of your company’s next chapter of corporate visual branding.
Businesses in all industries use outdoor signage to:
- Impress: Capture the attention of those passing by your storefront, traveling in a car or walking down the street, in ways both positive and impactful.
- Invite: Use signs to entice key customer behaviors, with active, call-to-action-inspired language mirroring other marketing materials.
- Inform: Relay key information about the nature and personality of your business through your sign’s designs, made exactly for your store or office front.
- Instill: Form connections and establish relationships with real people as they take in your signage.
Outdoor Signage Versus Indoor Signage
Businesses employ outdoor and indoor signs for various purposes. While both are common building features and should carry relatively cohesive designs, they are not identical — and shouldn’t be.
SpeedPro studios can assist in creating interior and exterior corporate signs with a few fundamental differences.
1. Different Objectives
Indoor and outdoor signs serve differing functions:
- Indoor signs are more commonly installed for informational and identification purposes. They tend to be smaller and contain more specific pieces of information, such as individual room numbers or signs signaling an emergency exit. Indoor signs can also be mobile or permanent building fixtures following specific ADA signage requirements.
- Outdoor signage works best as strong, attention-grabbing promotional items. They’re big, bold, large-format graphics with a focus on visibility and readability. They contain high-contrast color schemes and lighting elements meant to draw in the eyes of passing consumers while conveying a distinct branded message.
2. Different Designs
Because they have different functions, indoor and outdoor corporate signs will also carry unique designs:
- Size: Outdoor signs tend to be much larger than their indoor counterparts. The larger the sign, the wider its visibility — a primary concern for signs installed next to streets or mounted on your storefront to attract customers.
- Text: The words printed on indoor and outdoor buildings signs will also vary. Outdoor signs need large, high-contrast text to be easily readable, while indoor signs can be smaller and more prescriptive but still focused on legibility.
- Colors: Outdoor signs may employ more eye-catching and ornate aesthetics, all to ensure they pop on a busy street.
- Graphics: Both indoor and outdoor graphics have the option to include custom graphics as part of their overall sign design. A business owner should weigh the utility of graphics before adding them to their signage, considering what an image adds to or clarifies within a sign’s message.
- Other Design Elements: Lighting, placement, digital features and 3D detailing will also vary depending on if a sign is indoors or outdoors.
3. Different Audiences
Indoor and outdoor signs will be viewed by different people, who are likely at varying levels of familiarity and loyalty with your business. After all, if a customer or guest is inside your store or office viewing your indoor signage, they’ve already indicated interest in your business. This isn’t (yet) the case just by viewing an outdoor corporate sign.
This is intuitive “yet” bears repeating for the most strategic exterior signage. SpeedPro studios offer dedicated account representative on all orders who can help you identify the best sign design features for your intended audience.
Benefits of Corporate Outdoor Signage
From the functional to the artful, there are many benefits to incorporating custom exterior signs to your business or storefront.
1. Brand Your Business
Branding encompasses all the efforts a business puts into conveying a distinct look and persona. It merges marketing techniques and strategies with graphic design principles to distinguish your products, services and company itself from the competition.
In other words, your branding is what sets your business apart. Today’s best branding strategies include corporate outdoor signage as a key part of their designs. Cohesive branding can make or break a customer’s impressions of you. As a highly visible, public-facing piece of marketing, outdoor signs are a primary promotional material that must align with the overall aesthetics of your business.
2. Stand out From Competitors
The average person takes between 4,000 to 10,000 branded messages per day. That’s thousands of slogans, graphics, ads and artwork bombarding the senses, all geared toward establishing a connection and eliciting a consumer response.
Break from the pack with creative, custom signage authentic to your business and meaningful to your target audience. On busy streets or within shared buildings, this is particularly pertinent to ensure your business stands out for all the right reasons.
3. Boost Your Professionalism
Imagine a store without signs of any kind. Its exterior blends in with the all other storefronts around it. There’s nothing to name what’s inside, no indication of business hours, products, service types, sales or specials.
Pretty bleak visuals, right? Large-format graphics convey thought and attention to detail. They signal a business’ dedication to its image and willingness to go the extra mile to present itself in a professional, inviting manner. Customers respond to that effort in kind.
4. Attract and Invite Customers
Outdoor signage is one of the first things visitors take in about your business. In seconds, it conveys the personality and professionalism behind your goods and services. Customers use the information on signs to gauge what kind of experiences they’ll likely have with a business. The more you can craft high-quality, compelling signage with a distinct personality, the more you’ll attract and retain target customers.
5. Give Directions
Signs placed on the exterior of your building can serve directional or wayfinding purposes as well as branding ones. Designate your space, making it effortless for your customers and guests to find you without hassle.
This is especially important if you share an office building with other companies, if your business sits on a crowded street or if its entryway is off-street. Businesses located inside buildings like malls or multi-storied buildings can outfit their exteriors with outdoor signs to guide visitors and clarify directions — all of which is important to build a positive customer experience.
Custom Outdoor Signage Options for Businesses
SpeedPro studios house some of today’s most cutting-edge design equipment. We can print custom outdoor signage in any of the following sign categories:
1. Large-Format Corporate Sign Graphics
Our most popular sign order for building exteriors, large-format corporate signs and graphics make your mark on your storefront.
This sign category displays your company’s name in feature fonts and signature color schemes. They can include detailing like corporate graphics, backlighting and more upon request. Select from large-format corporate signs in the following forms:
- Chloroplast H-Frames: Square or rectangular signs fashioned from durable chloroplast or corrugated plastic substrate and mounted on an H-frame base.
- Mounted Signs: Chloroplast, aluminum, aluminate, acrylic and vinyl signage installed directly on building walls, partitions, fences and more.
2. Backlit Signage
Backlit signs contain LED lights installed within our around a sign’s frame, subsequently illuminating its letters and graphics. Backlighting elevates the look and functionality of your outdoor signs. Text is easier to read in inclement weather like rain or fog. It also pops more at night, adding a level of visibility to your custom signage and your storefront that it wouldn’t have otherwise.
SpeedPro banners are multi-purpose, multi-use outdoor signage with a number of customizations available for businesses. Hang banners from your store or office front in three main configurations:
- Retractable Banners: Retractable banner signs are sleek and lightweight. They are great for placement around building entryways and exits, welcoming customers into your store or advertising core products and services.
- Grommet-Hanging Banners: Grommet banners can attach and secure onto fences, ceilings and building sides to creatively display branded messages. Their rod-and-hook system is easy to take down and put back wherever you want your banner displayed.
- Pole-Mounted Banners: SpeedPro fashions banner pole pockets right into the design, making it easy to insert aluminum or plastic rods, then mount the final signage.
Banners are most commonly made from high-quality vinyl or perforated vinyl mesh, with a range of protective laminates available.
Outdoor flags can be fashioned into the ground using ground stakes or come in a freestanding form stationed with a weighted base. Similar to banners, most outdoor flags are printed using UV ray-resistant inks and vinyl or vinyl mesh fabric bases.
SpeedPro prints corporate flags for outdoor applications in a variety of shapes:
- And more custom shapes upon request
5. A-Frame Sidewalk Signs
Promotional outdoor signs find another popular form in A-frame sidewalk signs. These eye-catching yet straightforward signs work best in high-traffic sidewalks, entryways, courtyards and more, where customers can walk up and read sign text in a convenient, up-close manner. A-frames contain two opposing surface faces joined by a top hinge that, when folded out, gives the sign its distinct triangular or letter A shape.
6. ADA Signage
Businesses support inclusive and compliant buildings with Americans with Disabilities (ADA)-compliant outdoor signage. From handicapped reserved parking signs to properly sized outdoor wayfinding signage, you can rest assured your business maintains full regulatory compliance without sacrificing beautiful, brand-enhancing outdoor signage.
7. Customized Orders
SpeedPro is happy to help create custom exterior signage for businesses and corporate clients. We’re proud to house some of the printing industry’s most contemporary technology and equipment, meaning if you have a vision for your building signs, we likely have the tools to bring it to life.
What to Consider When Buying Exterior Business Signage
There are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind when designing promotional outdoor signs for your business:
1. Placement and Visibility
Sign readability is paramount to your overall visual communications strategy. An illegible building sign not only defeats its informational and influential sway — it tarnishes your reputation and cheapens your brand. Here’s what you can do to help avoid this:
- Write in headline text: Writing in headline text is industry jargon for stripping away unnecessary words. After all, signs only have a few seconds to capture consumer attention. Strategize high-impact, highly persuasive language to include on outdoor signs. Leave out the rest.
- Follow the 10-by-1 rule: The 10-by-1 rule is a graphic design trick for properly sized letters and font spacing. It states that every one inch of letter scale can be read a maximum of 10 feet away.
- Clear the way: Only install signs in unobstructed, uncluttered and naturally clear areas. Customers who have to play hide-and-seek with your business signs won’t be customers for very long.
2. Color Choices
Select sign colors that stay true to your business or office aesthetic. Most often, this means building exterior signs that match your corporate color scheme, amplifying your brand even further.
SpeedPro is only one in a handful of G7 Master Qualified large format printers ensuring color accuracy within 95 percent of CMYK Pantone standards. We also assist in high-contrast color scheme reviews to ensure your signs are ADA-compliant for the visually impaired.
3. Professionality and Personality
The best outdoor signs for businesses are ones that balance professionalism with personality. Yes, you want to remain on-brand, conveying your products, services and value above the rest. Yet you also need to do so memorably. Customers respond to signs that are creative, surprising, thought-provoking and humorous — and will remember them longer, too.
How to Install Outdoor Signage
Installing your business’ outdoor signage depends on sign type. Different custom building signs require different installation steps and equipment, some of which you may not have on-hand.
However, there are a few core steps to installing outdoor signs for your business regardless of signage size or variety:
1. Design the Ideal Sign
Your business’ exterior signs begin where all signs do — as a file image you create and submit to your full-service printer. Ensure you’ve accounted for the following in your draft:
- Color Scheme
- Logo and Graphics
- Single or Double Sided Sign
- Location and Placement (freestanding, wall-mounted, overhead, etc.)
2. Site Inspection
Will your ideal design actually work for your store or office? Many outdoor elements are in your control, but things like landscaping, terrain, street access and more can impede or complicate an initial exterior sign idea. You’ll also need to test wall integrity if you intend to mount exterior signs on walls, plus source concrete or monument bases for pole-mounted signage. Conduct a thorough site inspection before submitting your final draft to ensure final installation lives up to expectations.
3. Permit Application
Permanent commercial signs must be approved according to your municipality’s zoning requirements. Local regulations will determine things like safe outdoor sign mounting, proper sign scales and compliant sign placements adjacent to streets and sidewalks and much more.
4. Day-of Installation
Vinyl banners, flags and standing A-Frame signage will not likely require special equipment to set up. However, large-format signs, backlit graphics and monument-style sign bases will. Installing these three custom outdoor sign types will require:
- Digging equipment, to dig footed-in, regulation-sized bases into the ground for poles or fixtures.
- Heavy operating equipment, to move and hoist the sign and its mounting support pieces into place.
- NEC-compliant electrical wiring, to power illuminated or backlit signs and digital components with safe, functionally connected outlet boxes, breaker boxes and sign transformers.
- Welding equipment for 3D sign pieces or components.
Nearby Custom Exterior Signage for Corporations, Businesses and Their Buildings
SpeedPro studios are ready to serve your business or building’s high-quality, large-format outdoor signage needs. Contact your local studio for a sign consultation or to learn more about outdoor corporate graphics today.