How to Choose the Right Kind of Signage For Your BusinessFEBRUARY 13, 2020| SpeedPro
As you look to improve the visual appeal of your business or try to attract new clients, you might have thought about the type of signage you need. Visually appealing signs can make a space more attractive, bring in new business and earn the trust of potential clients or customers.
When you’re looking to add new signage to your company, it’s important for you to know what types of signs are on the market today and how to choose the signs that will work best for your brand.
Questions to Ask Before You Pick Your Signage
The first part of picking signage is to get some basic information down about your company and clientele. To make sure that your signage will work with your budget, and abide by local laws, ask yourself the following:
What Zoning Laws Apply to Your Company?
As you consider signage, the first thing you should examine is the zoning laws surrounding your business. By failing to account for zoning restrictions, you could invest in signage that your local government might make you remove. Zoning laws outline requirements for a sign’s content, font size, materials, color, width and height. Most often, cities will have different requirements for different zones and communities within their limits, so you’ll want to make sure you’re aware of the specific rules in your area.
To learn more about the zoning laws and how they apply to your company, check-in with your city or town’s zoning office. To find your local office, you can search your zip code along with a phrase like “signage zoning regulation.” Knowing the rules and limitations can help to save you time and money.
What Type of Signage Fits Your Primary Demographic?
While many types of signs are well-received by audiences, there are other types of signage that may be less or more effective with particular populations. To understand who your audience is and what they want, you’ll need to access your company’s information about your primary customers. Understanding who your customers are, along with getting an in-depth understanding of their emotional profile and buying habits, will help you find signage that will connect with your target audience the most.
What Signage Fits Your Budget?
Your signs need to work with your budget. Figure out what you can afford, then look at the costs of sign materials as well as the cost of making the signs. Having a budget will help you narrow down the options available. You’ll be able to easily rule out companies that are too expensive. A good signage company will give you a full breakdown of all of the costs and show you the different options available for you at your budget.
Types of Business Signs
Once you know zoning rules, your budget and who you’re speaking to, the next step is to look at the types of signs available and how to use them.
Exterior signs can attract new customers to your store, as the signs can grab the attention of passersby. Additionally, outdoor signage welcomes clients and starts a relationship off right. When you add outdoor signage to your building, you open up new opportunities and improve brand recognition. Consider the following options as you search for signage that matches your company’s needs:
1. Large Format Corporate Sign Graphics
For those in the retail or restaurant space, large outdoor signs are an excellent way to get your name out there and convince those passing by to come into your business. On the signs, you can display your company name, along with information that might entice people into seeing more of what you have to offer. Companies often use outdoor signs for advertising their latest sales or deals that will bring more traffic into the store or restaurant.
Additionally, for service-based companies, outdoor signage will generally be more focused on spreading brand awareness and getting consumers to get in contact with you. A company would be wise to include signature color schemes and featured fonts to reinforce brand awareness on its outdoor signs.
2. Backlit Signage
For businesses that operate at night, backlit signage is crucial to a successful advertising strategy. Backlit signs come with LED lights installed inside the sign or around the frame. Backlighting will illuminate the graphics and images included on the signs, serving both a functional and aesthetic purpose.
The primary functional value of backlit signage is that it makes your signage easy to see in all lighting levels. For late-night spots or 24-hour businesses, it’s important that people be able to find your location at any time. Along with making your advertising more effective at night, backlit signs also able to make your message more visible in inclement weather, such as rain, fog or snow.
3. A-Frame Sidewalk Signs
If your business is located on a busy street or if you regularly present at outdoor events, a-frame sidewalk signs are ideal for you. The signs stand on their own and can be placed directly on the sidewalk, where people are going to be most likely to see them. Companies especially enjoy how convenient the signs are for customers to read and how they can point potential consumers to their entryway.
Custom banners are an incredibly versatile type of signage that works for most types of businesses. Whether you want to improve the appearance of your office building or bring in new customers, banners are excellent options.
- Grommet-hanging banners. For businesses that have fences or lots of space on the sides of their building, grommet hanging banners are a great option. Due to their rod-and-hook system, they can attach easily to fences and other similar surfaces.
- Pole-mounted banners. If you have a long walkway up to your building, pole-mounted banners can improve its visual appeal. SpeedPro’s pole-mounted banners are designed with pole pockets, making it easy to insert the rods into them to mount the signs along walkways.
- Retractable banners. Retractable banners are great for a building’s entrances and exits. They can be used indoors as well, and are extremely portable. Their sleek, lightweight design makes them easy to transport, while also housing stunning graphics that attract people to the business.
Outdoor flags are made for companies who want to attract attention and improve the appearance of a building’s exterior. They sway in the wind, displaying your business’ graphics, and can grab the attention of those driving or walking by a store, restaurant or office building. In order to make them hold up against the elements, the flags are crafted with vinyl mesh fabric bases and UV ray-resistant inks.
6. Dimensional signage
Dimensional signs are some of the most eye-catching marketing materials on the market today. Instead of the regular two-dimensional signs that you’re used to seeing, dimensional signs are three dimensional, adding greater depth to your advertisements. Often, text, logos or other on-brand images will project out of the sign creating a stunning contrast with the flat base.
Dimensional signage is perfect for a range of businesses, such as restaurants, schools, retailers, professional offices and healthcare facilities. Their three-dimensional nature makes them useful for several purposes. For example, a brewery sign could be dimensional to get the attention of those walking by on a busy street and raise awareness about the brewery’s identity, while a hospital might use a dimensional sign that features raised arrows to clearly direct people around the facility. The signs are regularly used inside and outside, so they should be appropriate for most businesses.
After you’ve gained a potential client or customer’s attention with outdoor signage, you’ll want to provide an attractive space to wow them and gain their trust. One major way that you can make your interior impress customers is through signage. Interior signs can be placed on walls, doors, windows, floors and a variety of other locations. As interior signs have so many applications, you can establish the aesthetic of a location with your signs.
While you consider the type of signage you need for your business, take a look at some popular indoor signs:
1. Reception Signage
If your company regularly sees clients, reception signage is crucial to welcoming people into your office building and make a positive first impression. Some popular options for the reception room include wall murals and custom cut signage. A reception sign is the first thing that customers or clients see when they arrive in the building, meaning that they are responsible for making the first impression.
When you prepare reception signs, you’ll want them to welcome visitors to the space, along with providing any helpful information that can help them navigate the space. A good reception sign will show viewers what your business is all about and direct them to where they need to go next. The design of these signs should be on-brand and inviting to those who enter.
2. Window Graphics
For companies with storefront windows, graphics on the windows can grab attention. Window graphics on your glass doors or storefront windows let you share key information like your name, logo, website, contact information, hours of operation and social media handles with customers. You can also use window graphics to promote your newest discounts and latest product or service offerings.
If you don’t operate a store, but rather have an office building, you can raise its prestige and impress clients with frosted glass. Frosted glass lets in natural light but creates privacy. The graphics can be placed on dividers between room partitions, conference room walls and windows facing the outdoors.
3. Environmental Graphics
Environmental graphics change the whole feel of an office or store. The graphics include decals that can be applied to ceilings, walls, floors, windows and doors. Rather than being a small part of the space, environmental graphics can change the entire aesthetic of a room or building.
Typically, you’ll find environmental graphics all around a room. Floor graphics are ideal for those looking to fill out a room with branded imagery, such as a business logo or other pieces of iconic, branded imagery.
4. Wall Murals
Though wall murals can be installed outdoors, they are also popular indoors. The murals can advertise your company without appearing overly pushy or salesy. They’re a creative way for you to decorate the walls of an office in order to reinforce your brand and grab the attention of anyone visiting your company. A wall mural also adds an artistic element, creating a unique atmosphere at your office.
As wall murals are so creative and so impactful on audiences, their use crosses a variety of industries. For example, a service-based business could include a wall mural in a conference room to impress clients and show them where your company excels. At a store, the wall murals will allow you to make your store more inviting and craft an on-brand space that’s memorable to customers.
5. Digital Signage
If you operate an event space or are constantly needing to change your signage, you’ll want to consider digital signage. This type of business signage is one of the most high-tech options available today. Typically, digital signs will be facilitated through large monitors that can be hung from ceilings or mounted onto walls. Unlike traditional signage, digital signs can play video, rotate through a variety of content and lower your overall advertising costs.
For any company that needs to update their messaging regularly, digital signs are the way to go. Since they are digital, you can make any changes with a few clicks, quickly rotating in fresh messages, such as your newest products, deals or updates to your schedule. If you operate an entertainment or sports venue, digital signage is a must-have, as acts and teams will change constantly.
Types of Signage Material
As you choose your signage, you’ll want to make sure you’re using the right type of materials. Learn more about popular sign materials, including how to best use each one:
- Acrylic. Acrylic business signs are popular with companies that want to look both refined and cutting edge. They are made out of multi-functional plastic that has a glossy finish. Though acrylic is extremely lightweight, it’s still durable and can be used outdoors.
- Canvas. Canvas is a classic signage material. Traditionally, it was made out of linen, but cotton has become even more popular today. It’s a great material for companies who want their signage to have the appearance of a work of art. Canvas is also another material that can be used indoors and outdoors with outstanding durability.
- Coroplast. Coroplast is a corrugated plastic that features a liner that’s folded between two flat layers. As the material is made out of durable, tough plastic, it can handle the weather, making it a material that can be used outdoors as well as indoors. The material is ideal for billboards, realtor signs and outside restaurants.
- Fabrics. Like canvas, fabric has been used throughout the ages for signage. Nowadays, you can still find fabric banners and flags, along with newer applications such as pop-up displays and table covers. If you’re looking for materials that are long-lasting and have a high-quality appearance, you should choose fabric.
- Foam core. For an inexpensive signage option that still looks great, foam core is a great choice. A foam core sign will have a dense foam center that’s sandwiched between two sheets of matte paper. The signs will typically be best for indoor use, as the material is easy to damage. Generally, companies who use foam core need something for short-term use that’s vibrant and versatile.
- Mesh. Commonly used for event tents, flags and banners, mesh signage is made out of a perforated film base that is translucent in appearance. With the perforated material, its perfect for the outdoors as wind, sound and light will easily pass through it. Mesh flags and banners are ideal for construction sites, outdoor events, storefront windows and parks. Mesh is ideal for outdoor use.
- Plexiglass. Plexiglass is a type of acrylic that takes on a glass-like appearance after undergoing a specialized manufacturing process. The material is made out of a plastic sheet and offers better durability, shatter-resistance and defense against erosion than glass. For companies that want the appearance of glass but want to have greater toughness, plexiglass is ideal. The material is also a great choice for dimensional letters.
- Vinyl. A popular choice among many companies, vinyl is one of the most versatile materials on the market today. Despite vinyl’s rigidity, it’s often produced in thin sheets that are flexible and that you can install on a variety of surfaces. Vinyl is often found on vehicles, banners, windows, doors and walls. As it can be used in so many places and is so durable, it’s an appropriate material for almost any business.
- Wood. Wood is a timeless material for signage. Custom wood signs are especially popular for businesses that want to represent themselves as more natural or traditional. Wood can be used indoors and outdoors, ranging in applications from smaller a-frame signs to larger custom wooden business signs. Companies can pick the thickness, finish, size, print method, shape and the graphics included on wood signs
Contact Your Local SpeedPro to Find Signage Perfect for Your Business
Whatever business or office signage that you select, you’ll want to work with a company that’s prepared to print out your custom graphics on a variety of materials. As a nationwide network of studios that specialize in large-format graphics, SpeedPro has you covered no matter what material or type of signage you require. We’ve worked with a variety of businesses and can tailor our signs to your needs, crafting signage that makes people take notice.
Find your local studio to speak with a representative about the type of business signage that will work with your needs.