5 Tips to Improve Your Virtual Meeting BackgroundMARCH 10, 2021| SpeedPro East Bay
With so many people still working from home, video calls have become an essential part of communication and collaboration. Small and large companies depend on virtual conferencing methods to meet with their employees and clients. Because of this, your background should be just as professional as you are. By now, you’ve probably seen some of the best and worst backgrounds in a video call. Don’t let that be you.
TIPS FOR IMPROVEMENT
When you’re in the office, the look and feel of your surroundings are very important. This same idea should translate into your home when it comes to your background. After all, you may not be able to avoid the screaming toddler running into your meeting but if your background is put together, you will look like it too.
Here are 5 tips for you to improve your background that are quick and easy to follow.
1. AVOID PERSONAL ITEMS
Because you’re working from home, you’ll want to consider this your office space. Avoiding hoarding personal items in the background can make the difference between professional and not. Keeping on brand with your decor will also help to maintain professionalism. This will also remind people of brand recognition which can overall help your virtual call mission. So, prior to getting on the work meeting, remove any personal items that may be lingering in the background that could cause a distraction and take away from your message.
2. TIDYNESS IS KEY
No one wants to look at a messy background with junk everywhere. Keeping the background as simple as possible will help to keep people focused on you and what you’re saying. This doesn’t just have to mean removing the clutter in the background. This also means making sure that there is no visible dust or dirt. After all, this is your new work environment. Let your coworkers and clients know that you care about your working space and keep it clutter-free.
3. LIGHTING MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Lighting can be so important when you’re on a virtual call. Your lighting can be overexposed which means that you’ll show up as a pale white shadow. Or, your lighting can be very poor where it’s difficult to see your face. Whenever you can, use natural lighting which will give you the best look. If you don’t have enough natural light, this is where incorporating additional lights can come into play. Try not to place the lights overhead as it could cause shadow under your eyes and make you look tired. Also, placing lights lower can cast weird shadows upon your face. For the best result, place the lighting behind the camera/ your computer so that the lighting and the camera are coming from the same direction.
4. SELECT A NEUTRAL BACKGROUND
A neutral background doesn’t mean a boring white wall. It simply means using a space that is light and airy with little to no distractions. If you have a black wall as a background, you will ultimately have issues with your lighting. Using a neutral background that is light grey or taupe will give you the optimal lighting and make you look your best. All of these factors portray you as the most positive way to your fellow employees and clients.
5. WALL MURALS
The most creative and fun way to enhance your video background is by installing a wall mural behind you. These wall murals can be designed personally by you with imagery of landscapes, your logo, or anything related to your brand. Ditch those digital backgrounds that glitch every time you move. Instead, transform your home office space into something that looks clean and sleek. This not only speaks to your professionalism but also your creativity.
WALL MURAL BENEFITS
Installing a wall mural to your video conferencing background can be easy and will definitely liven up your home office. We saw how last year video calls because predominant and there’s no sign of slowing any time soon. Sure, there is a vaccine that will get people back to work. However, we’re starting to see that because people can work from home so easily, there is no need to rush back to the office. This means that working from home will be a continued option for employees to feel safe. Adding a wall mural to space can set your home office up for success in the future to come.
Here are some of the major benefits of installing a wall mural to your background.
- Enhance Your Brand: The best use for a wall mural is to bring your background to life with a big and bold look. There are no limits to what you can do with a wall mural graphic and because of this, you can customize it however you’d like. This helps people to not only recognize your brand but also to build trust with your brand. It shows that you care about appearance and that you’re willing to go the extra mile to look good.
- Professionalism: If you want to appear professional, this will achieve that. By selecting imagery with simple colors and logos, helps you stay on brand and also appear professional at the same time while getting creative.
- Unlimited Space: Wall murals can be printed at any size. Our roll of material is 54″ wide so we can panel prints together to create a larger-than-life background. This allows you the freedom to go however big or small you’d like to. You may want to just cover one section of the wall where your computer is facing. Or, you may want to add to your entire office decor with a full accent wall mural.
- Easy to Clean: Because keeping your background clean is so important, using a material that is easy to clean will make a difference. Wall murals are printed on adhesive vinyl using latex inks so they can be easily wiped down with a soapy damp rag. They also won’t collect dust over time.
- Installation and Removal: Installing a small-scale wall mural can be quite simple and a one-person job. However, if you’re going to cover a full wall with graphics, we would recommend hiring a professional like us to install. It can get tricky lining up the panels. But, we have expert installs who can be in and out of your home quickly leaving no mess behind. They’re also easy to remove if we use a removable vinyl. It will come right off the wall without damaging your walls or the paint.
- Transitional: Because wall murals are so easy to install and remove at a smaller scale, you can refresh your background every month, quarter, or year. This allows you to change them out with the seasons or holidays. Or, if you have a special event that you want to tailor the meeting towards, you can customize it to this as well.
SPEEDPRO EAST BAY AND YOUR VIDEO CONFERENCE BACKGROUND
SpeedPro East Bay can help you get the best background imagery for your next video call. We’ll help you from design to installation to ensure that it fits into your schedule and doesn’t interfere with your virtual meetings. Then, when it’s time to go back to the office, we can help with a wall mural there.
Back to Blog